Monday, June 20, 2011

"Autumn Aspens"/Last Acrylics Class

Week 5 of Acrylics Class:
Had an absolutely lovely painting session. I continued the painting I started on week 4: a forest of aspens in the autumn. Here's what it looked like at the end of class 4 (the day I brought home my lighthouse painting).
As you can see, all I did was block in the background colors and draw the outlines for the future trees. On week 5, I had so much fun, because I got a lot of work done, and the whole time Jan had beautiful traditional South-American music playing as we painted. I've never been to South America, and the music is so haunting and magical it makes me "want to go to there"! ( ^_^ Tina Fey quote.)
On the left is how my painting looked by the end of class 5, and on the right is how my palette looked after class 5. A fellow student suggested that my palette looked almost as pretty as my painting, so I took a picture for good measure. I rushed a bit towards the end, and I really hoped to bring it home. Jan, in her infinite wisdom, instead convinced me to wait until next week (after adding more depth, shadow, and detail) to bring it home.

Week 6 of Acrylics Class:
On the day of my final acrylics class, my mom came with me. Just like my brother and sister 2 weeks ago, she got to see the gallery, meet my teacher and class-mates, and hang around listening to the music and watching me paint. Additionally, she shot some photos of me finishing my painting IN ACTION!
(As much action as you can get when you're painting acrylics, anyway.)
Dotting the trees...
Dotting the trees...
More paint, please. ^_^
...more paint please...
I'm having the best time...
Using the palette knife.
Here I'm using a palette knife.
It's not as easy as it looks, but with practice, everything gets easier.
Painting with a palette knife is not as easy as it looks, but with practice it becomes less of a challenge.
Time to sign my name on it!
I can sign my name to that!
Close up of my "sig"...
After I finished, I still had about half an hour left, so Jan said I could start another painting. She gave me a Romero Britto painting called "A New Day". Though the picture seems very simplistic and much easier than the ones I've already done, it's no less of a task to start it than the others. And wouldn't you know it, I wasn't able to finish it in time. Jan suggested I take it anyway along with the one I finished, and get myself some acrylics to finish it up at home.


Before my mom and I left, I asked Jan if I could take a picture with her, and she said okay. Isn't she the sweetest? I hope I never forget her.

Thank you very much Jan, if you ever read this, for all your help and for giving me so much confidence in my own creativity. You made me feel welcome, and that is all it takes sometimes.

2 comments:

  1. Ayeeeeeeee it's so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed the "progress"..especially the pictures of your creating, your sweet teacher & your focus!
    You are a "natural"..keep experimenting, learning & doing what you are doing! Great beginning..your proud admirer.

    ReplyDelete

All Comments are encouraged and appreciated.
Tell me what's on your mind, what you thought about my post, and any feedback you care to offer.

If it's not too much to ask...